So you can experience a bit of the magic, here are twenty of the most common ice cream flavours (gusti). Which would you choose?
1. Panna (cream): also known as Fior di Latte, this plain ice-cream is a hit with adults and children alike
2. Cioccolato: good old chocolate. Sometimes this comes in two versions, cioccolato and cioccolato fondente (extra dark chocolate)
3. Limone: fresh, tangy lemon flavour is perfect for hot summer days (and nights)
4. Pistacchio: another favourite, look out for the home-made version with real nuts
5. Zuppa Inglese: the title translates literally as ‘English soup’ but the flavour is more like custard. It gets its name from an Italian dessert which is thought to be inspired by English trifle
6. Bacio: the name means kiss, and bacio is a mixture of hazlenut and chocolate…yum!
7. Frutti di bosco (fruits of the forest): a mixture of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, raspberries
8. Caffè: for lovers of espresso and cappuccino here is the dessert version
9. Pesca: fruity peach flavour tastes just like the real thing
10. Crema: Italian crema is a pale yellow colour and more like custard than cream. This is the frozen version
11. Fragola: Quite different from the pale pink, creamy versions of strawberry. This one has the deep pink colour of crushed strawberries
12. Cocco: White, creamy and very coconutty
13. Stracciatella: chocolate chip
14. Banana: Italians divide ice cream flavours into two groups: creme (creamy flavours) and frutte (fruit flavours). Banana lies somewhere between the two – fruity and creamy at the same time
15. Amarena: Plain ice cream with swirls of cherry sauce
16. Menta: bright green colour, fresh minty taste
17. Melone: Another super-fruity flavour. Like eating a fresh, sweet melon straight out of the fridge
18. Ricotta stregata: literally ‘bewitched ricotta’ (a type of cheese). Ricotta stregata is softer than normal gelato, because it actually contains ricotta. Definitely one to try if you fancy something different
19. Liquirizia: I’ve never tried liquorice flavour. I’m curious, but there’s always so much else to choose
20. Nocciola: Hazlenut – my favourite!
Is ice cream popular where you live? What’s your favourite flavour?
About the authorLucy